18 August 2006

39 bus experiement

My faith a little restored in the NJ transit system gave me the courage to try a new route to the airport. I studied the schedule this morning while getting ready and had in my mind that my check in was 1530. Hearing the news that a plane was diverted already today due to security issues, I left the house at 1320. I refused the offer for a ride feeling very confident in my experiment. Let's just say that it went a-rye. I boarded the 39 bus and was ready to get our and transfer when they announced "Penn Station". I sat quietly watching the passangers get on and off. Looking around and discovering I was the only white girl on the bus and the streets looked so unfamiliar, I went up to the driver and asked about my stop. I missed it by miles. He told me to cross the street and take the next 39 bus back. I don't think I have ever prayed for protection asmuch as I did walking across the street while eyes of dozens of kids up to no good follewed me. The bus came proptly to my relief and I boarded once more telling the driver to please let me know when I needed to get off. The stop came and once again I had to cross the street, this time is was the main street in Newark. I just missed the bus so I stood patiently on the curb ready to run into traffic if need be. I tried to have an air of confidence but the tears were welling up behind my designer sunnies.
Finally at the airport, checked in and it all washed away because here it is a gorgeous day and the Manhattan skyline guided my walk to gate 87. I tried a Nathan's hotdog for the first time (thought I owed myself a treat for getting here alive and with all my belongings), not too shabby!! I am betting though my dog tomorrow will be better only because it will be accompanied by a beer and the sweet sounds of Yankee Stadium.

No comments: