30 May 2009

return to roma

I think I was just asked my room number near the elevators to ensure I was not an early morning call girl.
I am dressed in my uniform sans jacket and just went out for a delightful cappuccino and an early morning walk around the hotel. Our plane is delayed by 20 minutes and I wish it were delayed by a whole day or more. I am in the Eternal City, one of my favorite of all time.
Once more I was the lucky recipient of an airport alert assignment and although it took two days in a row of warming the couch, I am so happy to be on this trip. This is what I live for, the brass ring which I only hold seldom but what keeps me coming back for more. All the elements were in place on this journey, a wide body plane, great crew (one crazy but that is normal), my favorite position in business first, crew that actually wanted to go out, combined with my favorite country in the world. If this is what I was able to do every time I packed for the airport, the decision to stay with this job would be a no brainer. But here is the thing: to “hold Rome” takes 20 years seniority. Really? I am going bonkers at 3 years with no line in sight.
Back to the silver lining. The group that gathered to wander around the most famous city in the world was two friends and a new girl who was sweet as could be. Our tour guide was a Columbian who thought he could talk his way around the city and we let him. He took us to every point on the cross in Angels and Demons and answered our pleas to go to the mouth of truth as well. Momentarily I was channeling Audrey as I suck my hand into the mouth and posed for a photo. It was so much fun to hang people to hang out with and of course not to have to beg strangers to take my photo. The only thing that would have made this journey better is a trip to the supermarket to load up on my favorite things but at last it is closed.
This I know for sure, I will always return to Italy, I have no doubt.

1 comment:

The Neyens Family said...

HI!! I stumbled across your blog from Bree's blog! I love reading about your adventures! Keep them coming!! xoxo