09 May 2009

the end days of Vietnam

My first day in Saigon was good, I got a little hustled by a cyclo driver but the agreed price was paid at the end of the journey through town, to the insane market place, and to some pagodas. I also gave him here the here's what with New Yorkers and talk him the word extorsion. It was great to see things and it would honestly take days to explore the whole city, it is huge. After dropping off some shopping I regrouped and headed back out. I wandered around District 1 stopping for a beer and then having dinner. I also did a little souviner shopping and then headed home. On the way my damn flip flop broke and I was reduced to giving in to the incesant "motorbike?" request. I showered and scrubbed the hell out of my right foot and went to bed. It was the first time I had to set an alarm since my holiday began.
I organized my things and headed off to the booking office to catch my tour to the cu chi tunnels. I was sent on my way with breakfast and a loner pair of shoes from my guesthouse. I met a few Candaians on the journey but spent most of the time reading up on the upcoming places and enjoying "Slim Jim" conduct the tour. He was comical..."the bigger the bike the bigger the girl!" His english was learned from Aussies, Brits, and a few Americans so his antidotes were sometimes mixed together but still funny and educational.
Our first stop was a temple with the mix of four religions, one made up that escapes me now (their pope died in 1959 and they have yet to elect another one) Buddist, Catholic, and Islamic. They all gather in this godly decorated temple on nine different steps four times a day for service. It was bazzar to say the least.
After that we drove by the alley in which the famous "burning girl" was photographed. Lunch at some random place was next and I made friends with a guy from Toronto and we just laughed at the organized chaos.
On to Cu Chi where we watched a film on how the VC used incrediable tactics to win what they dub the "American War". We walked around the forrest where most of the war took place in the south. The rain poured down and all I could think about (instead of the bullshit war) was Forrest Gump talking about the rain coming down in big drops, sideway rain, and rain coming straight up.
"Gump, get in the hole!"
"Yes sir!"
We saw the booby traps and how they were constructed. And then came the fun part. We could shot a gun and I am not talking about the guns I shot grown up, big boy guns. I was the first to sign up and choose the AK47. Talk about a rush!
After I couldn't heard a damn thing but my adreline was pumping we crawled through a 100 meter tunnel. Most people could squat and gave up and went out the short cuts, I crawled on my hands and knees till the end. It was awesome.
We ended with "big party at long table with tapicoa and tea". I was expecting pudding but instead we ate potato like something with crushed peanuts and washed it down with a sip of tea.

No comments: