06 May 2009

vietnam (lost track of the days)

My day has been good, I awoke at 730 and wandered about. My breakfast was an iced coffee and lemon pancake. I wrote postcards while soaking up the warmth of the morning. After my tailor shop opened I followed my tempation to be adventurous and rented a motorbike.
I explained to the guy that it was my first time so he gave me a quick lesson in stop and go. I guess that is all you really need. I made a turn into old town where the streets were quieter so I could get a feel for the bike and was whistled at by a police officer. Motorbikes were not allowed. He came and turned off my engine. I stared walking the bike back to a main rode but was unable to move the bike. Luckily a westerner came up and helped me put the bike in neutral. A couple of blocks later I climbed on the bike and started fumbling around trying to turn it on. I saw another western couple so I asked for the guys assistance. Moments later the bike was running and I was being my journey around the town. I stopped for a liter of gas and the attendant must have figured out that I was an novice so he started the bike for me as well. After that I was set and quickly had the bike in high gear driving along the China Sea. I drove and drove stopping only for a quick water break and to take photos. I rewarded myself with a job well done in mastering the machine with a thai massage.
Getting ready to make one last loop around the town before taking a shower and meeting my new friends for a farewell drink. The bus to Nha Trang leaves at 1800. Twelve hours in a bus, hoepfully I have worn myself out for sleep the whole time.

No comments: