04 May 2009

dog or cat?

I walked into the backpacker storage room to the smell of old moldy towels, and stinky feet. It was overwhelming and I searched for a space as fast as possible. Another guy, tall and unwavered by the smell quickly found a space. I asked him what he was doing that day. He replied going to a mosalium and asked if I would like to join. So off we went on the back of two motorbikes cleverly negotiated by Martin. The line snaked on for a half a mile and we stood in the sun being ushered along by armed guards. We were instructed to store our bags, and then 300 meters later, our cameras as well. Within no time were lined up in two lines walking along a red mat. Up the stairs into a square building with pillars, and around the corner. We walked the three sides of a square around the body of Ho Chi Ming. We walked the rest of the property before gathering our belongings and resting with an iced coffee. We chatted away about where we were from, where we had been, and where we were going. Next we hired a cyclo and went to the temple of literature. Nothing exciting but the pho lunch which followed was quite grand. Since he was not sick of me yet we walked the streets of Hanoi stopping in DVD stores, the post office, and on the corner for a fruit shake. We sat with the locals on tiny plastic stools and sipped away. On the way back to the hostel for happy hour we stopped by the lake. A Vietnamase guy came up and wanted to practice his english.
We talked about Britney Spears, the color of his motorbike, what he did for a living, and asked him to help me with my Vietnamase.
We started talking about eating dog and cat. I told him that was something I could not do. I will try a lot of things but that is not. He told me not to worry as my dog was far away.

No comments: