02 May 2009

vietnam day 1

I have only been in Hanoi for 14 hours and the struggles, emotions, and exhaustion which has been experienced makes me feel like I have spent a month here.
The five hour flight from NRT was restless to say the least, my body begged for sleep but could not find a comfortable space. The man next to me was unamused with my tossing around. A man with a paper sign was waiting for me as I book two nights at a hotel recommended in Lonely Planet. I left with him for the 45 minute drive into the city. When we got to the hotel, the lady tried to charge me $25/night and when I showed her my book she changed it to $18 the highest price and told me that I had to stay at another hotel. A guy would take me on his motorbike. I used the internet prior to departing to find my travel partner decided to stay in Laos rather than accompaning my through the country of Vietnam. I decided I had enough of this bullshit and told the woman that she could not take advange of me just because I was an American. We argued back and forth and finally I told her to give me my money back and that I was going to inform Lonely Planet of this scheme of theirs. I stormed off into the unknown streets of the Old Quarter of Hanoi at 11:00 pm. I flagged down a taxi and asked him to take me to the Sofitel which I saw coming in. I was furious and all I wanted was a shower and a clean bed. I got to the hotel and got a room, mind you the room cost as much as my roundtrip ticket from Japan. I didn't care, I had my pride. Sidenote: this was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. I stood in the shower for 20 minutes still realing about the past hour's events.

I awoke to wonder not only where I was at, but why. Did I have to get up for anything? Am I on a layover? What country am I in? What time is it?
I went downstairs to have the breakfast included in my room price (specifically asked when reserving) and enjoyed a gorgeous buffet of every food you could imagine. Let me tell you about the coffee here, it will get you going. I had read about a coffee they feed the beans to a lima or something and then they take them from there shit, clean them and then brew them. I was hoping that was not the kicked in part of the caffine.

I finish my breakfast and begin my day. As I was exiting the restaurant I was asked to sign something. They were trying to charge me for breakfast. Ah, hell no! So I argued with them and then the front desk. And then it occured to me as I was watching interaction...it's because I am a woman. I did not pay for the breakfast mind you.

A few hours of wondering around my hotel, and I was not impressed. I was walking through filth, every street looked the same. I wondered what my next move was, how I could get out of here, and where I should go.

I still don't know the answers but now have a bed for $7.50 at a hostel a better sense of being, and my strength as wonder woman as Turiya likes to call me.

No comments: