01 March 2008

gili

I have been on this island for a mere three hours and have gone through a range of emotions. The speadboat ride over was lovely and I even got a nap in. When I arrived and first stepped out into the water to exit the boat, my mission became a place to stay. First a note of the one thing that drives me crazy and seems to be a running theme here in Indonesia, harrassment for transport or manicure or look, look. I get that it is how they make a living and they don't know any better but it gets really old fast. So I am swarmed upon as I arrive asking me questions and so forth. Finally I found a guy that was a softer sell and I went with him to look at places to stay. Mind you the are no star resorts of any caliber here so I sucked it up and followed him down a dirt road past the chickens and stray cats to look at a room. The price $7 but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I needed a shower because it will be the last before beginning my long journey home tomorrow. We went to a second place 1000 meters away and I fell in love, first with hammock and then the room is ideal. I am currently on a mission to purchase bar soap but other than that, it is good. I set off to explore this little island maybe the size of the whole pearl district and ran into my hotel broker. We walked and talked for a bit and he ended up leading me through the middle of the island as I helped him with his English. It was fine at first but then it becomes frustrating talking to someone in English not American. We kept walking and I had the quick thought that I may wind up captured as a white slave but then the feeling of hunger quickly took it's place and I began to get cranky due to the heat and the apparent hike I didn't sign up for. An hour later, we made it back to the man road and I paid him $5 for his troubles and ran for food. Three dollars purchased noodles and a Fanta. I went to change more money as there are no banks/atms here and encountered the issue I had prior in the week. My bills are from 1996 and no-one will take them nor give an explaination of why not. Finally this kind gentleman, whose internet cafe I am using changed it and now I can pay my hotel bill of $12.50 maybe $14 with the exchange rate.
Plans, now that I have food in belly, a place to stay, and money in my pocket...maybe a little snorkeling, definatly a walk on the beach at sunset, and a hammock nap for sure.
Happy girl, who is lucky in life is today an island girl.

1 comment:

nene said...

I am missing you!!!!