02 March 2008

magic shake

A melody of bird songs awoke me from my slumber on Sunday morning. This sleep was filled with vivid dreams since I decided to embrace the island culture and give the magic shake a try.
The rest of my weekend on Gili Twangan, the island which lost all power on the day of my departure, included activities in which I didn't even think about electricity. I rented some snorkeling gear and hung out with the fishes for a bit. Afterwards I sat on the beach and listenend to the waves flirting with the sand. A shower and a nap in my favorite place on the porch preceeded a dinner overlooking the sunset. I went to bed early after checking out the night life. The morning found me renting a bike and taking a ride around the island. There hasn't been a time since my accident ten years ago, I didn't experience fear when first balancing myself on two wheels, but today was different, I felt nothing but freedom and the childness love of riding around. I suppose it may have something to do with the lack of motorbikes or motorcars. I got ready and headed to the boat to wind up chatting with a young couple from SFO on their way to Ubud to be married. I was a bit jealous of their nerdy love but then remembered, I already have my soulmate...travel.

No comments: