23 March 2008

taxicab tv

The great thing about having an out-of-town guest, other than the company, is to see NYC through their eyes. On the cab ride from Penn Station on the first day, I caught myself being more interested in the news cast than looking at the city. My goal with Yoder was to show here classic New York mixing in tourist things as well as real life. She may tell you there was too much real life as I had things to do and could only devote one whole day to sight seeing. I will tell you what though, we covered Manhattan.
I am sad to admit that I have already become a jaded New Yorker when it comes to ideas that first come to mind of those visiting. I had not been south of Canal Street since my visit with Matt over two years ago. Our game plan was to go as far south and work our way up till we dropped. We covered: the Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, the Bull, Wall Street, Ground Zero (still brings tears to my eyes), the West Village, SoHo, NoHo, Little Italy, and Chinatown. We stopped for lunch, a sweet at Ferrara, beers at friends joint and then rounded out our day with Times Square. Twelve hours from door to door. A New York slice ended our day and we hit the hay.
Next day, it pouring down rain and although it was a completely miserable day we were troopers and made our way through Central Park. We dog walked and then practically ran home to dry off and take a nap. After we got dolled up and grabbed dinner and a few drinks before making our way to Pink Elephant to watch my friend do a little spinning. Of course I had to round out our evening at my fav, Cafeteria. As I was getting up to use the bathroom, this guy told me how much he loved my dress. He wanted to buy it. I asked him what I was going to wear. He then offered his shirt and this sounded like a great idea to me. We swapped and I had to ask him for his boxers since I wasn’t wearing panties. Suffice to say, I have new man’s shirt and got a good giggle out of Amy.
So the next day, I had some business to take care of as well. After a breakfast at the coffee shop, we headed down to Chelsea. Sidenote: It is always good to make sure things are how they should be in one’s body so I in light of the crap which occurred in January, it was time to get tested once more. So off to the free clinic we went. I filled out my card and grabbed some NYC condoms (mostly likely the ones Carol was referring to on Valentines Day) and waited. Ironically I was number 69 to be helped. The whole process took a lot longer than anticipated but my time was spent watching a very informative video and people watching. Good stuff! I would recommend it visitors anytime.
After the thrilling hours of the clinic we headed up town to check out the classic sights we had yet to see such as the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Saks, St Patrick’s Cathedral, and Fifth Ave. We went to the Top of the Rock right as the sun was setting and even though the wind was blowing 50 miles an hour we hung out until dusk. And even as a New Yorker, I was in awe.
One more walk on our last day and lunch at a café. She returned to Portland and I crossed the pond to Glasgow. Where gratefully, I have caught up on my rest and almost kicked this cold.

No comments: