09 February 2007

dias tres

A six o´clock wake up, naturally by sunlight, perfect time to catch my bus up to Aernal. A few stops later we are on our way on the gravel road. I dose in and out and listen to the conversations of the couples on the bus. Three hours into the bus ride, we stop for rest, a fourty minute rest where I ate a muy deliciouso taco de pollo. Switching buses and backtracking 20 miles or so, we turn off and start to climb. The volcano is constantly in our site and the lake provides the view for the last part. Five and half hours later I arrive at my 5 star hostel. I am room 2, filled with four bunks and clearly inhabited by three guys thus far, judging from the contents on their beds. I claim a bunk and a locker and lay out by the pool. After a while, I take a walk into town to get some cash and a towel (don´t stay in hostels too often forgot). I walk into the city that seems futurally untouched by Americanism, which is a nice surprise. I find an atm and store to get supplies. On my way back to the room to prepare for my volcano hike, I meet two girls from New Foundland and convince them to take the tour with me.
Do you ever wonder if adults seek out guided tours as a reach for the childhood days of field trips? Our guide was adorable, picture the Costa Rican version of Brian Daly if you will, same mannerisms and him with a tan and an accent. We hiked through the beautiful rainforest with the sounds of rocks tumbling down and monkeys howling. I was able to see a sloth, howler monkey, white faced monkey, and an army of leave carrying ants. After our hike, we watched the sunset and sat face to face with an active volcano awaiting the darkness to fall in order to see the red embers as the cascaded down the mountain. The best part of the evening was when the Canuks and I were lead into a fabulous place to sit in the hot springs, they were every where. The water beat down upon our shoulders and warmed our bodies. I think we sat in every single one in between our time in the pool. A waterslide was our entry into the warmest pool I have ever been in. I swear we went down that slide thirty times before we headed off to the buffet. In one of the eight beds in our hostel room by 2330 but my eyes opened each time the door did. Five boys occuppied the room with us and the one underneath my bunk was the loudest snorer ever. Someone eventually kicked him and he silenced enough for me to get a little shut eye.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: