13 February 2007

beantown

Arranging my life around being home at 1600 has paid off once again. I was able to pick up another four-day trip. I had my choice of a long layover in Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Diego, or Boston. Since I have wanted to go to Boston my whole life, I choose the first class position with a 26-hour layover in Beantown. Packed for a day of wandering around in the cold, I left the house this morning bright and early. The sun was just coming up over the Manhattan skyline and it was outstandingly beautiful. I met my crew, jumped on the plane and worked the easiest day ever with a 36-minute flight and only on passenger requesting a beverage. It felt so good to walk past Legal Seafood, where I usually run as fast as I can to grab chowder and make it back to the plane, and walk outside into this historically city. As we drove downtown and I became more giddy by the moment. We arrived at the Park Plaza and I found myself in a quaint room, filled with charm and history. I was planning on working out but I was too excited so I rationalized that I would get my cardio in by walking everywhere. I started off on Newburry Street and checked out consignment stores, boutiques, and shops. I went into a cupcake shop thinking it would be the perfect tide-over until lunch however; there were no cupcakes, just tee shirts and jewelry, very bizarre. Lunch of a lobster roll was recommended by the concierge at SkipJacks. I ordered it unsure of what it was, it turned out to be ½ lb of lobster meat with a light sauce on an open-faced bun. Very delightful along with a champagne cocktail. Shopping continued afterwards, I was able to try on a dress that I had been looking at for my birthday, it is perfect. A small piece of chocolate rounded out the afternoon and now I am relaxing before I meet the crew for happy hour by reading Catcher in the Rye…yes I know it is about time I read it.

I met the crew for a drink and dinner. We ate at Rock Bottom, which I don't believe to be traditional Boston but didn't argue as the captain bought dinner and more drinks. On the way to Cheers, we lost the captain (damn, now we have to pay for our own beer) and the anx-girl who ate her mac and cheese, one noodle at time. So off to Cheers we went, the FO and I. He was cute in a dorky way and after a mug of beer I found out why he was such a dork...he admited to subscribing to Cat Fancy because he wanted to know what his cats, yes pural, were thinking. So for the rest of the trip, he is going to be refered to as "cat fancy boy".

No comments: