06 April 2007

spades

"When the door of happiness closes, another opens;
but often times we look so long at the
closed door that we don't see the one,
which has been opened for us."

I don't usally pay much mind to my mom's forwards but I read this one during my first time alone since the "exciting news". I was struggling to figure out where I stood in my emotions and kept going back and forth with letting go. I took some advice from long ago when my heart was heavy and decided to just put it out into the universe. I made the call from SAT and emptied my thoughts into the receiver. At the end of twenty minutes I was able to close the door.

This trip was hectic to say the least with ground holds, holding patterns, plane swaps due to a cracked windshield, late arrivals, and weather. Our last leg home was scheduled for four hours block (gate to gate) however it end up to be almost six and a half. The crew got to the gate on time to sit and wait for the plane, I was scoping out the crowd, as I always do, and noticed a cute guy in a Red Sox shirt. He was one of the last to board and I held him up so the goody-goody flight attendant could get back up the aisle and so I could chat with him. He sat in 6C which was perfect for the eye contact and smiling through out the flight. My section was easy without much need of service and I was bored out my mind. I recoginized the one of my passangers was bored as well. I asked him if he wanted to play cards and he almosted shouted yes; so I grabbed my deck of pink cards, an atlas carrier to sit on, and sat down in the aisle. I taught him to play spades and ended up with a chuckle from everyone around; even 6C looked down to see what I was doing. He caught my attention and asked to use my lav up front, I am usually a natzi about it, but for him, I made the exception. He asked what I was playing, I told him spades and asked if he would like me to come and play with him. He was said yes. I quickly rapped up my game with the Brit and took my atlas carrier back to the sixth row. His name was Ryan and the next hour was spent flirting and getting to know each other. I had to cut it short because we were going into initial decent. He beat me only because I taught him about the blind bid. I wrapped up my business upfront and wrote my number on a napkin. In flowing Christina's advice of doing something everyday that scares you, I balls up and headed back towards my jumpseat. I walked passed him and said, "It is presumputious of me to think you may want this, but I would really love to see you again." He said thank you with an adorable smile and I walked as fast as I could to safety. I ran into him after we deplaned and he thanked me for my number and told me he was going to use it. Apparently the guy next to him gave him props for scoring my number.
Look at that, an open door...

No comments: