16 April 2007

blackout

The rain was coming down with such volience that it rebounded a foot after hitting the ground. The day had grown dark and I was relieved to be on the bus back to my car after a long day at work. Wilma took her time guiding the large vehicle safely to the lot. Stop number two was mine and I hopped off the bus and walked to my car to be greeted by a pool of water, it covered my ankles atop my high heels. I had no choice in my path and I walked through the cold water to reach my car. The windshield wipers did there best to clear my vision although it seemed as though the battle would soon be lost. I proceeded the usual way home, cutting through the Ironbound, a car pulled out in front of me, I honked then I looked at the road in front of me, there was a pool of water but it was so dark, I could not judge the depth. I proceeded and then saw cars stuck, I stopped, prayed, and slammed the car in reverse so I would not become a victim as well. I u-turned and proceeded back the high way where traffic moved slowly. I took the exit for the 21 and followed the cars, the exit I needed was closed due to flooding so I proceeded into downtown Newark. I thought I could figure out where to go, even though I had only been on that road riding a bus, I had no choice, I needed to get home. I turned down a familar street only to be greeted by darkness. The storm had cut the power to the lights and the surroundings. Panic set in and I turned to go in the direction of home but that had become a jumble in my mind when all I could think was this was the murder capital of America and I am driving through it at night, in uniform, with Oregon plates. Turn after turn got me no where familar and finally I looked for a police officer because I was not getting out of my car to ask for directions in my uniform. I found one, already with someone in the back and I pleaded with her to show me the way home. Her directions got me out of the getto but onto some other street parrelling MLK Blvd, which I know that you shouldn't go down in any city at any time of the day. I called my friend who lives here, unfortunatly one I hadn't talked to in a while, and asked him to guide me home. That he did and twenty minutes, now dry feet, and emotional exhausted I was never so happy to see this crumpy apartment.

No comments: