19 January 2009

whole foods dinner

I am having dinner at Whole Foods for the second time this week; I am wondering if I am drawn here because it's a piece of home. I sat at the end of a high bar communal table and placed my dinner out before me: salad, water, green tea, and key lime pie. A woman moves in such a dramatic fashion I can't help but to watch as she gathers her belongings from the next table to join mine. First placed down is her small salad and dessert containers then her coat, followed by an Evelyn and Crabtree bag. Her commotion cause my attention to fixate on her and her belongings. She sees this as an opportunity to talk. "Damn woman is talking about a delivery at a table we people eat" is her opening line. I looked at her with a puzzled look wondering what was so offensive about food delivery or perhaps a piece of furniture. I give her an understanding nod however. Sensibility took over and I realized she must have been referring to the birth of a child. Her eyes light up as she looks at my dessert, much like mine did while choosing it from the pastry case. Before both of us sits a perfect three inch in diameter key lime cheesecake with a lime at top waiting patiently in it's clear container for my consumption. While she comments on my choice, she holds up her mess of a dessert and proclaims it's tiramisu. She opens it up to have a bite before her dinner.
I continue to watch her a she wolfs down her food with no beverage in sight. She stops only to squirt some lotion onto a napkin and smell it. She has put her ipod in by this point and then proceeds to line up the C&E bags contents on the table before her. She removes price tags of each and stares at them devoting just a much time to last as to the first. Her hair is an over processed red and pulled back sloppily. The liner of her eyes picks up one of the many colors of her fleece vest which layers over another fleece.
My heart goes out to her because I can guess she is single and myabe alone in the city. She had the trademarks of being from the Northwest. Perhaps a young girl who came out to the big city to see what else there was in the world. She didn't leave in time. She becomes a flash of my future if I continue to eat dinner alone on Saturday night in New York City.

No comments: