30 January 2009

too many choices

There is such a thing as too many options. I sit here two days prior to my month of leave from the airlines, from their daily control, from the insanity which they bestow on me. When I first visualized this epic month, I broke it down into fours: a week serving and making my rent, a week with Carol on our girl's holiday, a week of dog walking, and a week of a fabulous me holiday. Well old life sure has a way of saying "fuck you" when you have perfect plans. My plan to waitress all week has been shot by the economy and the fact that no one wants to give up their shifts. This tragedy has been going on for sometime as I haven't worked since December. It would be okay for me to hang out in NYC for a week to see if by the off chance someone may need me but that is what I have been doing for the last month and I am at the edge of insanity and five pounds heavier. So plans changed to go somewhere for that week instead.
I have the rest of my month nailed down as follows:
8th-14th Hawaii with Carol
15th-20th Dubai
20th-22nd Barcelona
24th-3rd dog walking and oh-happy-day house sitting!
So this first week is the one giving me issues. And it is not like I haven't had some good offers, I was offered to meet a friend in Vietnam. It looked as though it was going to work out with flights and everything until I double checked on visas. Damn it! It takes four to five business days to get a visa and of course I found out about this offer Friday evening and I left for Colorado on Sunday. The only chance I had was to go and sweet talk the embassy yesterday morning when they opened but no, had airport alert at an inappropriate time.
Sidenote: I almost ended up going to Panama City yesterday which oddly enough is one of my other options.
My other offer was to go to Copenhagen for a couple of days starting on Monday. This would give me the chance to watch the Superbowl at home with some friends and get me back on the 5th. Upsides: meeting a physical need which has been met in a really long time and I would have a free place to stay. Downsides: I have already been there, it's cold, and there is not much to do.
Option three: Turiya is operating the inaugural flight to Sydney next week. I could very easily hop my way over there and it would make perfect sense to say over there in the Pacific and then meet Carol in Hawaii. However, I have two commitments here on the 7th.
Option four: Going to Panama City. A friend of mine is down there as we speak and I can stay with him for a couple of days. Then he heads back to Houston. I am not sure if I can stay longer at his place but his emails are not looking that way. I am sure I can find a cheap hotel and come back on Friday. This seems like the best option as I could get grounded in the city and then be set free. It is also very warm and I could master not eating so much to stay warm and work on my base tan for Hawaii. The downside is the unsure of what to do down there and I would have to fly out Sunday. I was promised I could watch the SuperBowl but it's in Spanish which is fine for the game but I am sure the legendary commericals will be lost on me.
I am on call right now and don't think I will be used for the rest of the day or tomorrow so I kind of want to get a head start on things. But where do I want to go?
There are many other options, hell, I have the whole world at my fingertips.
I just have to choose.
My mind is spinning around the globe.
Where do I want to go?
And how important is this commitment on the 7th?

No comments: