15 January 2009

ordering coffee

I am standing in line at Starbucks the other morning. Okay is was after noon as I don't roll out of bed until then. The guy in front me orders a coffee. "Cream and sugar". The explanation comes from behind the counter that those things are put in by the customer but she would leave room for him.

I got his attention, "Can I ask you something?".

He looked shocked I was talking to him. "Um sure."

"When you are on an airplane, do you tell the flight attendant cream and sugar when you order a coffee?"

He paused for a moment and said yes.

His pause made me not believe he made this a practice.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well I am a flight attendant and it drives me crazy when passengers expect us to read their minds. You didn't expect that lady (motioning towards the bartista) to know how you liked your coffee."

"You're not from around here are you?"

No comments: