27 January 2009

colorado

I am sitting at a beautiful counter top trying to keep my sanity while looking after a five and an eleven year old. Clearly this is not the holiday I had planned. I came out to Colorado and attempted to see everyone while here while also being an accommodating to the those who are giving me a ride around the area.
Sunday I arrived after we had to abort our first approach and circle while it cleared up. The second try was successful and I was watching with a little of tenseness after listening to the flight attendant describe the approach which had to be done with such exactness a faction of a mistake would wide us up in the side of the mountain. It was the first time more than one person has ever met me at the airport and it was so great to see my girls waiting to pick me up. We went and met her hubby and some other friends had some nachos and brews and then headed home. Her place is a lodge like house sat in front of the backdrop of the mountains.
The next day we hit the slopes of Snowmass in Aspen and it was a picture perfect day for skiing. I haven't been on skis in years. It is amazing how we let fear take over when we are adults. I started down the bunny slope and realized I remembered how to do this. We jumped on the gondola and headed up..and up. I was staring down and the fear took over. There is only one way down, did I remember how to stop? Crap, what am I doing? I was doing okay until I reached a blue hill and I went into panic mood. I finally just went for it and ended up crashing because I was going too fast for my liking so I just sat down. I counted the pieces, two skis still attached and one pole...shit! I look up the hill and five feet up was the other pole. I tried to side step and get it but gravity was my enemy. I took off my skis and walked up there. I got my feet back underneath me and continued down. That was my only fall all day. We did five runs and I loved every minute of it as the snow hit against my face and my confidence grew.
We came home to dinner and hung out.
Today we were supposed to go to Vail but things didn't seem to click into place so here I am in this gorgeous home while Hilary is with her horse, Mike is at work and I have a new memory for birth control.

No comments: