06 January 2009

unplanned date with joe

I love the fact that I can find a bad date even if I am not out on an oficial date. I went out for a night cap after Dave May dropped me off from a nice dinner around 2100 local time. I was convienced I didn't want to hang around the place and let my mind wander about as I thought it may. So I grabbed my purse and headed down the south staircase. I walked past many places peering in to find nothing exciting going on. I finally decided on Vault as they make good drinks and there was more than 5 people in the bar. So I saddled up at the bar and ordered a lemon basil martini. After half the drink was downed a guy came alone and sat two bar stools away. Mind you, I have been in prime looking mode lately, about half the men population has been turning my head. So he finally comes and talks to me. I should have ran when I figured out how negative he was about everything. I learned he lived in Seattle and was an ex-Marine...run...jarhead...run. This is said with love because my father was in the Marinie Corp. But there is something about military guys. God love them for their sacrifice for us but when it comes to dating...run. Anyway we talked for a bit and then I was ready to leave and we closed out our bills at the same time. I paid for mine and he for his. May I make a point here that in NY a woman never pays for a drink. Those boys weren't raised that way. It was difficult to swallow at first being from dutch-ville west coast but I have quickly learned it is how to treat a lady. And I like it, a drink for my time, Okay. So we left together and ended up at the same bar at which I had a fabulous first date with Tom, where I had a second date with Andy, a fun double with Sean. You know the "dive bar" of the Pearl. It was in the very booth of the Tom and I date that this guy, Joe taught me how to pick a lock from his years in intellegence with the Corp. When I finally decided I had enough of the boring conversation, I motioned to the bartender for the bill which totaled $13, love Portland. And he accepted my contribution of $5 because that was all I had that I knew I was on a bad, unplanned date. When he asked me for my number, I gave him the standard fake because that is what nice girls (oregon) with good sense (new york) do.

No comments: