28 September 2006

midtown driving

I have spent a lot of time in the city in the past week due to the arrival of my good friend. I been in a cab almost every time I have been in the city but the past couple of rides have been the most memorible. We were on the way to the Guggenhiem and got there in record time with the thrill of riding a roller coaster. I personally loved it but could see how those with a week stomach could not be as thrilled. Our return trip was just as exciting, it made the ride home on the path seem like the tea cup ride at Disneyland. It wasn't until yesterday I understood why they drive this way. It is not for the thrill of the tourist but the way of survival.

I drove Dave May back to the airport yesterday and our route took us through the Lincoln tunnel, through Midtown, the Midtown-Queens tunnel and through some other parkway. Tunnels are not for the colsterphobic as they go one for miles. The time spent on 34th Avenue was great in the way of looking at NYC from a different perspective. One of my favorite things is to look up at a tall building from a car, we had the oppurtunity while parked at a light next to the Empire State Building. In order to survive the couple mile long drive without being hit or honked at excessivly one must drive like they own the road and have stolen the cat. My driving in San Fran, LA, and Seattle had not prepared me for this experience. The addition of people on the streers, large busses, and people cutting one off right and left. My reward for my good driving came on the way back from JFK as I was able to see Manhattan from the non-traditional side; it was beautiful.

Back safely at home and hanging out with the girls, which has become more frequent since we are not working at all this month. We took another trip to Target, this time in C's newly delivered jeep and then dinner at Chevy's. It was a fun girly night and will probably be repeated tonight with two of them. i have been assigned airport alert from 2000=2400. Wonder if I will be sent anywhere considering I am scheduled off tomorrow.

No comments: