22 July 2006

what if we never tried?

Tuesday

The rents came in this morning and I made huge brownie points by taking the shuttle from the HI in my pajamas to pick them up at 0630. They get to stay at the Sherton which kicks the crap out of the hole that we live in.

A flight to and from PHX marks the last assignment between me and my wings. Thank goodness for the hotties on the flight and that I was able to work first class on the way home. Our supervisor was someone that no one in our kick-ass group had met before so I fashioned a sign that said "Crew MMCL Clint party of of 1). He just laughed when he saw us and knew that he had a fun group. On arrival we were saying our buh-byes and this hottie was off and I got a photo of his butt and Clint was standing right next to me and said, I didn't just see that? I told him I would send him a copy.

Wednesday

The day is here, the one I thought was so far away....Graduation!!! The day was meet with a bit of a hangover from the celebration last night. Studies were over, IOE's successfully came back with the plane in tact, and it was our last evening together. Our hispanic mama made the best fajuitas ever, which were washed down with plenty of beer, liquor, and shots. Even the people that you never saw outsde the classroom managed to find there way to the party.

I sit here in the exit row ready to be an ABA if necessary at 1750 waiting for the boarding door to close so I may go home. Just hours prior my wings were pinned, my speech made, my award accepted, and many tears were shead. I am finished...I am a FA. The day was hectic, it didn't help that my head was pounding from the final through down in room 179 of the HI. Pulling myself out of the shower, I realized today was graduation day. We got to wear our jeans and our class t-shirts which turned out adorable btw. Class was not exciting what so ever since we had a visit from the union reps who deemed it necessary to talk for two hours. Are you kidding me, the day that everyone is hungover we have to be interested in politics. A pep talk about graduation followed and then we were sent home for lunch and final packing.

J and I had to say goodbye to our handicap home over looking the pool. We were both on the edge of tears anytime we looked at each other. Inspections in our uniforms proceeded our short bus ride to the nice hotel, dress rehearsal, then what seemed like moments later, the big show.

I was the first to cry as my wings wer pinned on. I am so proud of our class and it hard to think that we will not be together every day. Following the wing pinning was a speech from the CEO and then class awards. I was honored to be presented with a golden wings leadership award. I now have a big, wooden plaque simliar to those from elementary school for perfect attendance, honor roll, etc. I just sat down and then was introduced as the class speaker. I had placed my speech on the podium before hand along with my tissue imprinted with the Eiffel tower. I had rehearsed my speech numerous times and only cried the first time I wrote it and in the last paragraph when reading it to J. I started crying at line two and by the end the rest of the room was crying as well. A video presentation followed and as I sat between my roommate and my fabulous Puerto Rican frinds, I held each of their hands and let all the stess, the sadness, and the joy consume me. The reception was short and sweet, but the goodbyes were heart renching.


Speech

As I sat in the Portland airport awaiting the flight that would begin my new life, I wondered what lay before me. What if I didn't like my roommate? Whatif I found out this is not what I wanted to do with my life? What if I failed?

Four and half weeks seemed like an eternity while packing and the first couple of days here. To look back now, you wonder where the time has gone. It feels like we just got here but at the same time we have been here for years.

It is amazing how quickly lifelong bonds can form. I believe all of us has met one or many people who will be reminising abour our days in training well into our retirement. The memories we have made here, whether they be at the pool, in the classroom, on the bus, or in room 179, will stay with us forever.

During our time together we have learned so many skills we hope never to use. But be assured if you are ever lucky enough to be on one of our flights you will be either mothered, told a toast to remember, watch some impressions, or laugh along with us at our own sillyness.

We have all played a role in what has become our friends, our support, and our family. I speak for everyone when I say that each of us could not have made it through this alone. Whether it be the care packets from home, thanks mom. the emails from friends, the silly situations that make us shake our heads and move on, or the encouragement from our name tent neighbors.

We became a crew in four and a half weeks with the leadership of our teachers. A special thank you to Beth, Pam, April, Kelli, and Marti for putting up with us in the first place and making flight attendants out of us in the end.

No one can answer the what ifs in life. But what if we never tried? What if we never made the bonds we made? What if we didn't challange ourselves?

Our what ifs have been answered and I present to you the sucessful answer known as the graduating class 0617.

No comments: