07 July 2006

7/7

The week has flown by as I sit here eating my turkey, broccoli, and cheese lean pocket. My night has consisted of meeting with the t-shirt lady, discovering some strange rash on my face. and playing a few games of volleyball. We learned about another couple of airplanes today and got to open and close some doors and pull out window exits. I am enjoying the hands on stuff because it seems to stick in my head more. I can enjoy it for a few hours but not for 12. That's right we were at "school" for twelve hours yesterday.

We gathered around the plan after our egg and cheese sandwich, manuals in hand ready for our turn. First group was up, the plane filled with smoke and we soon sliding out. According to my mother, all I wanted to do when I was a kid flying was to slide out of the plane. Oh, how my life long dream has come true! Twenty-three times (my lucky number) I sat and slid off the plane. The only two flights I missed, I was on deck preparing to go in. I was full of adrienalin waiting to go in. Seniority order drew the positions, I was second as I reached in and thanked the Lord that I drew C, the easiest position. We gathered up our team and went over the game plan from the previous night. We had communication as our middle name, and I make up songs and dance moves to remember all the little things. ELS-uh a uh a !! Our crew welcomed passangers, went through the demo, and then took our jumpseats, Probably the only time I wished or will for a crash before take off and that is exactly what we got. I didn't realize at the time but they tilted the plane so when I went to open the door, I was hanging out and giving it a cross hook to get it to stay open. The rest was a blur, commands were lost in the smoke as I raced up front to check the cabin, we all exited together but our job wasn't over. I ran around the plane, taking out a blocking chain, looking for people. As I ran back around the plane we had to ensure no smoking so I started yell "no fumar,no fumar" just in case we had any Hispanics on board. As we went in to retrieve our manuals, my shadower said she heard I was taking out her equipment. I responded, "just saving lives ma'am." The toughest critic gave me "an awesome job" with no mark down on anything. I was so stoked!! The compliment was futher given when I was asked to volunteer for a group that needed two extra people. It was such a cool adrenilan rush.

I was not on board for this but it became the funny story of last night and carried on a bit into today. The girl in class that ask majority of the dumb questions apparently briefed her ABAs with a British accent. I am so glad I wasn't there because I would have been laughing my ass off. It was bad enough at the end of the day when J and were sititng in the cabin and smoke filled it up, she started singing "kum-by-ya".

Silly question of the day: They were preping us for the flight and told us they may put unaccompanied minors on the plane in orange vest. "Are they going to be real children?"

I noticed today was/is 7/7 and for those you that know what I wanted to be doing in one year from now, will laugh.

Our first person was sent home today, it was a bit heart breaking.

No comments: