08 July 2006

training kicks in

Let me tell you, training kicks in. I am up this morning at 5:15 and not because I was up partying; this girl was in bed at 11:00. Strobe lights and the faint sound of the fire alarm in the hall awakened me. I jumped up and assessed my door, opened and looked for people or smoke. I saw one person and then turned around and started yelling at J. My heart races as I grabbed my laptop, passport, and phone. She didn't want to get up so I started yelling "get the F* up, we have to go!". We ran down the stairs to J's other home and waited. Another gentleman came down and said that there was smoke on the first floor. Since we were the first people out of building, the guy and J went back inside as I called 911. I ran around the building banging on first floor windows. People slowly came out without an inch of panic on their face. I am not sure if my panic was due to all the training and the evacs this week or how I would react anytime there was a fire. The lady on the phone asked if I would be okay and if I was evacuating people, I said, "Don't worry about me, I am a flight attendent in training, ma'am." I gathered people together under the flag pole and instructed people to call everyone in our class who wasn't there. The people who hooked up last night were nailed as they came out fully dressed in their clothes or in the pilots. After 30 minutes we were told we could go back in and thank God because I had to pee. Wide awake on our day off, my heart racing from the adrenaline that I thought I would never experience again. I am going to be a great FA!!!

No comments: