05 July 2006

prepared

It is always good to be prepared for the worst. That is the decree of a flight attendant. The pressure is on this week with learning of the aircraft, learning evacuations and actually performing them.

Celebrating the fourth of July or ("jill-eye') with classmates ended up to be a pretty good time. The night before I came home, went out to dinner at a fabulous Mexican resturant, and headed down to the pool to study with some of the older people in my class. They and I am actually going to change that to we, know that this is serious business. Although it is fun to goof around at the pool, go shopping with the girls, drink beer, etc., that is not what we gave up our normal existance to do. The old folks of the class formed a fantastic study group for the past test and the lowest score among us was 92%. We meet again to practice our ABA briefings. Comically to on lookers, I am sure, as we set up chairs and talked as fast as we could about windows and doors. I need to ba animated to get my point across so there I am waving my hands wildly at this pretend door. But, let me tell you, in came in pretty damn handy today.

There was a scheduled cook-out for us yesterday, and we got jacked once more by this hotel and had it taken away. Jack in the Box it was only because we borrowed someones car that had a couple of bullet holes in the window. Jack in the Box has never tasted so good, I actually ate something that wasn't fried. Half of the class showed up for the free food as well as the other trainings which are staying here. The other trainees brought beer though and you can't celebrate the fourth without a beer. So once beer it was before I headed off to practice evacs with four queens. They loved my theatrics and joined in as we jumped and slid down the bed and hall. Which made me thirsty so I took it upon myself to throw back a six pack and eat candy from the lobby while hanging out with an adorable pilot. I there is just a natural draw to them for FAs.

The day before the truth. The thing that sends the most people home, evacuations. Today we spent all day in a simulator watching our teachers and then our classmates. We drew teams and apparently I must have been a wonderful person here because I have an awesome team. Remember the 100 percenter from Sunday, um,hu she is on my team and one of my first friends here is as well. Fifeteen teams, you get up get your position, do your checks, prepare for take off and then a scenerio takes place. There are unplanned and planned evacs, the difference is time. We were the first group given a planned evac. Needless to say we were on the stage for twenty minutes. I was lead FA so I made all the announcements and had control of the front of the cabin. Long story short, I got my people out, my crew safe, and all without any tears. My heart was about to leap from my chest but I couldn't telll you what happened except that someone turned on the galley light in the wierd place and I was spinning in circles looking for the switch. Classmates said I did well but they are not the ones grading me. I am more worried about the preflight then the evac. How sad is that?

Heading to meet the group to practice, practice, practice. Then sleep off the beer from last night !! I am definately going to need a cocktail tomorrow evening.

No comments: