29 August 2008

prior vs present

Prior Neighborhood Present Neighborhood

abundance of healthy food options /abundance of crap/fried food
fun bars/my watering hole /I don't go out after dark
Ready, willing, & able street cleaning /trash? just throw it on the ground
lots of nanny pushing strollers /lots of pregnant minorities
blocks from Madison Avenue /99 cent stores on every corner
dropped off my laundry /people asking me for money while I do laundry
I could be somewhere in 15 minutes /have to leave at least an hour
sounds of cabs honking /loud latino music and car alarms
fresh flowers at delis /people selling bodywash and watches from tables
fast paced/get there /all the time in the world and taking up the whole sidewalk
Post office and post box /have yet to see anyplace to send mail
movie theaters /99 cent stores
starbucks /fried chicken (that they insist you eat with ketchup)
taste-d-lite /unconditioned bodegas with freeze dried popsicles

No comments: