26 May 2008

devil horns

There are pros and cons to being assigned airport alert. The biggest con is that you can’t mentally prepare for your workday and you are unable to pack for your layover. Knowing that this weekend would provide a decent trip due to its place in the calendar, I prepared to go to work. So I packed hoping for something great like MAD or AMS. The great thing about AA is the fantastic trips, which appear out of the blue, for example my FCO trip was a gracious gift from AA.
So I went and sat near the phone and chatted with fellow flight attendants. The notorious sound emanated from the walls, where I would like to add that someone finally took down the devil horns that used to surround the phone. I answered the phone and called down the lucky contestant. She argued for a bit with the caller and then called another name. That person then called mine. I go to the phone and am asked if I have my French Visa…of course. So off to Paris I go. Not the trip I had in mind but it will do. I get on board to find that I am flying with some familiar faces and one of which is a gentleman which I walk dogs for. The crew turns out to be fantastic!!! Love everyone and the trip flew by with chatter and doing each other’s hair.
We were getting close to finishing our service with one last round of coffee. Bonnie and I walk up to two aisles together then turn dramatically to start the show. Well, some guy had his feet in the aisle and of course, I tripped over them. I managed to save most of the coffee and not to fall but some splashed on a passenger who hadn’t been the most polite to us the whole flight. He jumps up dramatically and causes a huge scene. We handed him wet clothes and we yelled at us that we wasn’t working and that he was already wet. Just made himself look like a complete idiot. I offered him my apologies and a dry cleaning voucher and he continued to yell. I just kept on with the service receiving an apology for the man with the feet. I leaned over and told him, it wasn’t a big deal and that man only received instant karma for what a jackass he had been the whole flight.
I had to tell the purser what happened and she went with me to present the dry cleaning voucher. She shook her head with a smile when she read what I wrote. “ While performing the coffee service, I was tripped by a gentleman’s fee in the aisle. I managed to save majority of the coffee and my balance but unfortunately some splashed onto the gentleman in 16D. I continued the service with a smile after my apology.”

No comments: