26 May 2008

fleet week myth

During my week of take out and watching SITC, the episode about Fleet Week was among the watched. On my subway ride home the other day, I saw a sign announcing the arrival of the nation's finest starting on Wednesday. In my Blackberry it went.
So therefore in good NYC girl form, I got dolled up last night and headed to Times Square looking for the big party. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find these sailors but there they were...everywhere! I had no quams about going right up to them and asking were the party was. But every group I ask, the Marines, Navy, and the officers didn't know of any party. In fact, they themselves were looking for a party. I explained that I was watching the SITC episode were the girls went to a "big Navy party"...still bub-kiss! Disappointed in not being able to live in the moment how I envisioned, I headed for a drink at a favorite bar. As usual, I quickly made friends with those around me and ended up spending an enjoyable couple of hours talking with photo journalist for CNN. All in all a nice evening, only because my party dress didn't go to complete waste!

No comments: