10 June 2008

a journey back to the past

I was good for two days and expected scheduling to roll my day and send me somewhere international. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had a trip to SFO, the same trip in fact of my very first flight with this airline. What I was not pleased to find was the check-in 0600, I swallowed my horror and took a cab to Penn Station at 0430 for the 0454 train. I was going to be a good lead and buy the crew Krispy Kremes to find that they were not even open at that ungodly hour. So on the train I am slowly waking up. And the train stops…for too long, I begin to panic. My check-in time looms closer and closer so finally when we make it to Newark Penn, I get off with my bags and arouse others to join me in getting a cab to the airport. I immediately call the duty desk to explain my situation and they have no sympathy. I throw the money at the cabbie, run through the airport, cut off everyone in security and run down to the desk. Out of breath as I plead for the elevator to go faster, I had a thought, “this is sure a lot of work for a job, I am beginning to hate”. Two minutes late but still under the grace period, I checked in and then proceeded to my gate. Of course it was a full concourse away.
I made it to my gate and met my crew and of course had a fantastic trip. I went right out and rediscovered one of my favorite cities not only in the US but the world. It was a nice break from international and I enjoyed everyone speaking English and being able to pay in USD. I guess sometimes it is good to have a break from the norm.

No comments: