27 February 2008

surf and palm

Day 2
After breakfast I went on my way to find a massage. Let me tell you these countries really know how to give massages and for six dollars, sign me up every day. I came back to the hotel with postcards and figured out my game plan for the rest of my stay. I also booked a surf lesson for the afternoon. My partner showed up at the pool finally and I only had to laugh at her misery, I felt great!
The little knowledge I gained in Costa Rica in regards to surfing seemed to escape me and it took hours for me to finally get it again. My instructor, Rane was very patient and just laughed at my falling and fear of letting go of the board. After a 20 minute break on the beach we tried again, and suddenly it clicked. I was up on the board. Surfer girl...well, I am working on it. The waves kicked the shit out me and this old lady was in bed by 2100.

UBUD
I was given a book for Christmas from my dear friend, Hilary whom upon reading the first page chapter went and bought it for me. I started to read it after my trip to Rome over Thanksgiving and finished in the sad month of January. Excellent book that I have in turn given to my friends as well. Eat, Pray, Love is divided into three sections, Italy, India, and Indonesia.
I already had my holiday planned to Bali before reading the last section of the book in one sitting. I was captivated by her writting and it made the desire to see what see saw and experience the tranquility she described even stronger.
Yesterday we got up and took transport up the city where the author lived. It was such a different setting from the hussle and bussle of the surf town. It was the peace I have been searching for the whole time. We toured about the city before going to see the medicine man. We arrived in time to watch a traditional Balinese ritual of blessing holy water. The feeling of being there in the same place of the author to watch the power of healing through blessings and spiritual power overwhelmed me and the tears began to flow. We sat in the sunshine waiting for about an hour for our turn to meet with the legendary medicine man, Ketut who was adorned in an I heart NY t-shirt. He was very funny as he talked to me about NY and welcomed me to his porch to read my palm. It was such a cool experience and when I asked for a photo he got up and went into the house. He emerged with a headdress and placed flowers behind his ears to pose.
We journeyed back into town to shop at the market and then set out on our next search for Wayan, another character in the book.
We found the shop which served the multi-vitman lunch and spoke to Wayan as she sat with us. She sent up an individual prayer for blessing then evaluated our bodies to find out our inbalance. Then she read my palm as well. Her reading was less touristy and spot on. We dined on fresh food and spent hours chatting away. I even helped translate a phone call from Argentina for her. I walked around with my book showing it to each of them, who grinned lovingly at the thought of being semi-famous in the Western world. Amazing experience to say the very least.

No comments: