19 February 2008

osl

I picked up a trip to OSL knowing that another crewmember would mostly likely remove me, so when the phone rang the day of the trip it didn’t surprise me. They called to let me know that I was still on the trip but now I am just in charge of the flight. All right, I will keep my snow pants in my suitcase then and head for the airport.
These flights have the reputation for being difficult due the amount of drinks each person orders. My theory is, I don’t care what you would like as long as you are polite. Well, let me tell you, my flight was a contributor to the reputation. These people, whom I am distantly related to, wanted everything under the sun. The please and thank yous were not as plentiful has I had thought they would be so by the time I got poked for the third time, I about lost it. And not only am I serving drinks, I also have to deal with the video system and questions from passengers and running back to get more o.j. By the time we got done with our first service, I was over it and wondered how I was related to them.
Fast forward to the layover…I slept the whole forty-five minutes on the bus drive in and it was everything I could manage to wash my face and crawl into bed. My new buddy, Seth (domestic reserve) called and we started our trek around the city. We walked for hours looking for a sculpture park we were told to go see and finally we found it as the sun was setting. Let me tell you, it was one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen, it seem to go on for an hour with the full moon becoming more defined by the minute. So this park is huge, Hyde Park huge, and has hundreds of sculptures of men, women, children in the buff. The details were incredible down the fingernails yet there was nothing sexual about it, in fact they were playful and innocent. More wandering took us the wrong way back to the hotel and after asking for directions we hopped on a city bus back to our starting point. From there we took a right and stumbled upon not on the town square but a Hard Rock Café. Minda will be so proud to have another shot glass in her collection. We wandered the streets people watching and looking for somewhere to eat. We settled on a great little café and enjoyed a nice dinner over looking the ice skating rink. After dinner we walked over and tried our hand at skating. As we sat there giving our calves a break from keeping us steady, I looked at Seth, and said, “the whole miserable flight…totally worth it”.

No comments: