22 December 2008

really?

I went to bed at 2100 last night due to shear exhaustion. My roommate must have thought I either departed for the evening or was dead because he decided to play house music as loud as possible. I awoke at four am to have a sip of water and then rolled over back to dream ville. Next thing I know, the phone is ringing that song from John Denver. I answer groggy and trying to figure out what time it is. I figured out pretty damn quickly that it is 0600 and they are calling to tell me to be at the airport at 0800. That doesn't leave time for a shower and still puts me in a tight squeeze on public transport. I call a car service as I am going pee and arrange for a 0645 pickup.
I am not happy!
The temperature is 14 degrees and I am getting hotter by the minute about not only the long day ahead of me but also that I will be $70 in the hole for the day as I am not really getting paid for the trip. It is just going against my guarantee.
I get to the airport check in and they ask if I was the lead. No, I told them that I was the "speaker" I get my extra shot latte and stomp to the gate like a child. They had me the paperwork. I am not the lead, I explain once more. I get on board and meet the crew, I am not the lead, I am the speaker and I am not happy, I am NTA. These people didn't care. I came to find out I was the lead. Damn it.
So the flight boarded as I stood in now 16 degree weather "welcoming" people and there luggage, tv's garbage bags, tons and tons of luggage. It was nothing like I had ever seen prior. There was 15 bags that had to be gate checked. I heard stories about these flights to the Caribbean, horror stories non the least. I was just grateful no one was trying to bring on a chicken as I have heard tale of. I did the service and practiced all the Spanish words I knew related to drinking beverages. Not so bad, cause if I can't understand you, you get Coke. That's my rule.
At one point in time the real speaker had to make an announcement about how to flush the toilet. Really? And people want to holiday here why?
I finally mellowed out and accepted my tragedy for what it was, just a day. A long interesting day where my high school Spanish helped quench some thirst.

No comments: