27 December 2008

all i want for christmas is...

I was invited on a four day trip with my pilot friend Jim but couldn't fathom getting Christmas eve off work plus I had a few commitments back here. I sadly sent my rvsp of no and continued on with my day. I called up Carol to have her pick up a trip for me as I was walking dogs and she is a hell of a lot faster at it. I sent her my list, AMS, MAD, CDG..all these great trips were there in my reach so I could know where I would be spending my holiday. Four o'clock came around and I the computer locked her out, I tried but we were both logged on, I tried again and nothing. All the trips were gone. I burst into tears at the Fed-Ex. Not only did I miss something that was in my reach, I now will be on call for six days not knowing where I will end up.
I met up with a friend for a celebratory cocktail as she had just ended her semester. I called it quits around one and headed home.
The phone rang at 0730 to let me know I had been assigned airport alert at noon. "You're going to send me somewhere good right?" I asked. He laughed and told me we'd see what happened.
Since my roommate is gone (place here a figure dancing in the hall) I got up and made myself a cup of coffee and took my time getting ready. I allowed myself extra time thinking there maybe traffic for the holiday but rolled up to the airport with no problem. I checked in early and looked around to see the crew room practically empty which never happens this time of day. I read my paper and then the phone rang for me. I skipped up to the bat phone to see what it was. A pre-board to HNL, I didn't get excited as I walked to the gate, I wanted to but these have fallen through majority of the time in the past. I get there and make small talk with the crew, only one of which I knew and the #5 gal showed up. I walked back to the crew room and people looked surprisingly at my return, It was only a pre-board, I say, HNL is a little out of my league. I went to the restroom and had to ask someone to listen for my name. As I was walking back to take a seat the phone was being waved at me. HNL he said, it's a go. "Are you messing with me?" and then I shrieked happily, told the scheduler Merry Christmas and darted back to the gate.

The crew laughed as I walked back on among the passengers. And for the next ten hours I was headed for the islands.

I had called Jim to let him know I was on my way to HNL thinking he was the outbound crew and I would just get a chance to say hello and get a holiday hug. When we landed, I had a text to come outside as he had a luxury car and a fresh lay waiting for me! We went to the hotel and on the way I figured out he would be one of our pilots home. He took me out to dinner and then we met up with his sister, After a drink at Dukes we walked along the Waikiki Beach and finally at 0100 local time I was exhausted.
I got up at 0630 to walk the beach and watch the sun rise. I grabbed some souvies and coffee and decided it was time for Jim to get up and take me around. I dialed his room and woke him up, "let's go!" I said excitedly!
Breakfast fueled our day of exploring. We started driving and saw Diamond Head Point, Mokapu, visited his friend Glenn in his 20 million dollar hours, saw Bellows, Blow hole and Sandy Beach, Pali Lookout, stopped by a private hanger at the airport to see his friend Bob and cute son Dane, and then headed to his dad's house for Turkey dinner. I had three helpings and apologized for my piggyness as I hadn't had a Christmas dinner with anyone in four years. After we headed back for another walk along Waikiki this time it was filled with people and even a Christmas tree. A short nap preceded the long flight home.
All in all, a pretty damn great Christmas if I do say so myself!!!

No comments: