27 December 2008

19B

I am back on board the plane after a fantastic layover. I have been warned this is a difficult flight to work because it is a true "red eye". The sun would not be up for at least eight hours of the flight. The ladies in the back who had now begun to turn on each other informed me that we would be getting the service done in rapid time so we could take longer breaks. Fine by me.

So as I am walking back after take off this lady stops me and complains that the seat in front of her reclined.
Visual for a moment: we are on a 2-3-2 configuration and the guy in seats in front of her had both reclined and managed to find a way to be comfortable. He had the fortune of not having a seat mate.

I informed the lady that her seat reclines as well and I can't ask a passenger to unrecline his seat because that was his option just as it was hers. She then tells me that his not his seat and why should he have two seats and that I need to make him put the seat up. I glance at the guy who informed me that he had already been in a fight with the lady. My response to this was "so, we are adults here, yes?". He laughed at that but the lady...holy moly, she went off. I told her that I wasn't going to make the guy put up his seat and that was that.

I look over and she had another flight attendants ear. She ended up complaining about me and the calling of her a child. "That's not what I said." I replied when informed of my bad attitude.

So we start the service and I am on top of the bar cart. The guy orders 2 wines which I comp and tell him he has been through enough already. I get to the husband who orders an ice water.
And what would you like ma'am?
She glares at me.
Would you care for something to drink with dinner? I ask in my nicest flight attendant voice.
Diet coke, half!
Are you sure you won't like a full can?
No! I don't appreciate your attitude. And he doesn't own that seat. He has no right to that seat.
Your right, you don't own your seat either, the bank does.
He shouldn't be able to have two seats, that's unfair...
I am sorry about that ma'am and I would be happy to have the service manager speak with you when the service is complete.
As I am pouring the soda I am talking to her, and I place the soda down on her tray table.
I SAID HALF!
I am so sorry about that ma'am, as I re-pour a half a soda.

The next service is about 20 minutes later. "Something more to drink?" This woman has encouraged me to be flight attendant of the year to everyone around her. I am smiling, pleasant, cheerful, anything you want. Mind you I am working in economy and you know how much I despise economy!

I get to the husband.
Something more to drink sir?, in my most flirtatious voice.
No, Thank you as he smiles at me.
You ma'am?
She just glares.
I move the cart down a couple of rows to hear her yelling at her husband at first smiling at me and not finding out where the service manager is. I went up to explain the situation right off the bat to our manager and he told me to "fuck them'. I agreed with the advice.

Eight hours goes by and we are doing our last service and this time she won't even look at me. God, this woman can hold a grudge. I have already had a nap, dinner, and read a book. Her, she has done nothing but glare ahead.

I am the door "good-byer". "Have a good day", "Thank you" "Bye Bye". Over and over again. I sometimes have to stop for a drink of water on the big planes.

Here comes the guy, I just chuckle as I said good bye.
The husband, I flip my hair and smile Have a good day sir.
The troublemaker, Have a WONDERFUL day ma'am! Fake smile, fake smile.

No comments: