12 December 2008

misplaced the bug

I was all set to go to Dubai, bags packed, party planned, lonely planet guide in hand. I just needed to pick up my "zed fare" and I would be on the stand by list ready to go. I called our travel office to get an idea of the cost and ask them if I could purchase it at JFK. I had purchased such tickets prior from other airports but I called again today to ask the same question. I guess I had doubt in my mind for a reason. Off I go to JFK which is a bit of a hike from home but I was ready, left in plenty of time to get there, get my ticket, and chat with Turiya prior to the twelve and half hour journey.
Well apparently my airline no longer flying out of JFK which means there is no desk to purchase said ticket. I called up the staff office to bitch at them to find they were closed already. There was not enough time to make it to my airport and back before the flight so I humbly drug my bags back home.
On the way home I decided to take my already packed bag somewhere. Hell, I have the time off and free passes on my own damn airline. I will try once more for Dubai but the loads are not in my favor. Where will I go otherwise? Cities popped in and out of my head. Lisbon, Amsterdam, Lima? I checked the weather on each and then came home to check the flight possibilities. Two places can welcome me aboard the flight tomorrow. But now sitting here, I don't want to go. I have no idea why, I haven't traveled since June to Istanbul. I have no idea where my travel bug has gone. I long for it, I long for the sense of adventure I once had. I don't know if is the need to work or because my loft is empty or that I have figured out that traveling alone is not always fun.

I want it back and I want it back soon!

No comments: