17 June 2008

aaa to the third

I am usually a live in the moment gal. Whether it is a joyous moment or one of angry or irritation, the feeling is powerful but soon dismissed say with another event or sleep. I awoke this morning still peeved about my "evening" at work.
I realize that airport alert is part of being a reserve. I actually don't mind it because my best trips have come as a result of sitting on the couch waiting for the bat phone to ring. But to have this assignment three times in a month (so far) is absurd! What sucks even more about not making any money and wasting my time going back and forth the the airport is not having a clue what is going on with my life. I don't even know what time I am on call today, my name isn't even on the list. The three times I have been almost going on great trips, teases if you will. The first was after 3:45 hours of sit time, they called me to go to ZRH, which I was super happy about since last time I was there I didn't feel good and a friend of mine was strangely enough there on business. Yet, the guy walked on at the last minute and gave me a hug for my trouble. The next airport alert, same thing about 3:30 into it, I got called for LIM and I was soooooo excited as it is in my top 5 and another friend of mine was down there for a stint. The girl walked nastily in and told me that is was her flight and I needed to go.
Airport alert number three. This call came about two hours in and they told me I was going to Spain, MAD to be exact. I actually squealed on the phone and ran to the gate. The weather of course caused massive delays and the 2300 flight didn't even end up boarding until 0015. We were about to button up and push when another flight attendant walked on board...she actually made it after being four hours late. Guess who got to go to MAD. I walked all the way back to the crew room and the phone rang again. This time sending another FA and myself back to the other side of the airport to go to AUS. We get there with no direction after ending up in Texas to find the crew had changed their mind, they were going to waive legality and go. So all the way back the crew room to wait five more minutes and get released. Mind you it's after 0130 in the morning now. I look at the train schedule, I can make the last train at 0200. I get up to the rail-link to find the trains are only running every 15 minutes. PISS!!!! Now I have to take a cab to the city. $85 and an hour later I am home and I am reeling at this stupid job.

No comments: