22 November 2006

ludo

So my first internet date combined with my first date in NYC, should be interesting. I had a feeling that would not have to work Saturday so I told Luc that I would be able to meet him for dinner. He called while I was awaiting a flight home from CLE eating nachos. It was strange to hear his accent, it is not the traditional French accent, and rather it is coupled with a slight hint of German. We talked for a bit and then my battery started to die. About three minutes into the conversation, I was alerted to a text. It was from 19C and we ended up texting until takeoff. Around three o’clock on Saturday, I called and asked scheduling if I could be released into my days off because I had a date. Dressed up and ready for an adventure, I headed into the city via car. It took forever because of traffic prior to the $6 toll Holland Tunnel, come to find out after a half an hour waiting they were doing some kind of survey, what the shit? Just let us through! I drove around for a bit and got a little sidetracked in China town and then found my way over to the East Village. It was a quaint place he found and I made friends with the bartender as I waited. They pegged me for a blind date. And in he walked; he didn’t look exactly like his photos because his hair had been cut. He reminded me of my friend’s old beau actually. We sat down for dinner and received complimentary drinks while we got to know each other. I didn’t have immediate butterflies but I have this voice in the back of my head that said that I would probably fall in love with the most random of guys. I think it kept my mind open. He is very sweet and I watched his interaction with the waiter as that speaks volumes about a person. We talked about travel, his home, work, and the usual get-to-know you chitchat. After dinner and his allowing me to order dessert to split we moved to the bat for another drink. We talked some more and I asked about the dog in his picture. He proceeded to tell me about a cat and a dog that live upstairs from him but that he buys food for and takes a nap with the cat each evening. The dog he described was not the dog in the picture so I had to guide him back the original question asked. That is his friend’s dog apparently. He kept wanting to ask me questions about my last boyfriend, which I answered honestly but didn’t find it necessary to keep revisiting it with questions. Actually I thought it was odd that a guy would want to know about the past, that is usually a girls question. The restaurant had now turned into a semi-dance club with a lot of Asians and no dancing. He told me to answer an obvious question, one that is escaping me now, and that he would give me a treat if I answered correctly. The treat? A peck! I have to smile at his dopiness, it is kind of cute but I foresaw him being that totally attached guy. I had already expressed my disinterest for East coast guys as they came off too aggressive and clingy. Two am rolled around and we decided to call it an evening so he walked me to my car and kissed me goodnight. Nice and gentle kiss but still not overwhelming butterflies. I drove home and then met the girls at the dinner for a grilled cheese. He texred on the way home and then called this morning and wanted to spend the day together. Hmmm, no. I wrote him and told him it was a me day and we should see each other this week. He called tonight to let me know that his heading to see the friend with the dog for Thanksgiving and the way he said it had me in stitches, I wish I could do the impression in words. Sure I will see him again but I need that za-za-zu. My mom offered to send me a jar of butterflies so I can put them in my stomach. I wish it were that easy!

No comments: