05 June 2011

the return

I always have this saying….it mostly used when other people are bitching and complaining, “you are always supposed to be exactly where you are”. I rarely remember this when I am in the middle of a freak out because something didn’t go as planned. I plan a lot of things in my mind, play them out in every act and wrap them up nicely right in time or a bit to spare, as I have been raised. This is the girl side of me, we all have it, it is what drives men nuts because we have cast them in our mental plays but yet didn’t hand them a script.

My first journey back into the flight attendant world started with the prep work. I had three weeks to prepare… first off was to finish Project: Pooches in the Pearl. Done, but not as well as I would have liked. Project: Recess was a bit more complicated as it involved the creation of calendars, color-coding, tally spread sheets, revisions of the manual, being a safety net. In my play this was all complete prior to Memorial Day weekend so I could spend the whole next week devoted to Project: Me. Although Project Me was based on getting ready to return the flying world, packing changing my sleep patterns, planning ahead, it also include luxuries such as yoga daily, massages, hair appointments and rest. Dinner with the BF was on the agenda too. I pictured us enjoying a last dinner outside in the warm spring Portland air at one of my favorite Italian restaurants, perhaps a glass of wine to aid sleep on my journey out to work. From the airport, I would simply sleep and then travel on to my chosen destination from there. Perfect right?

Project: Recess went on well into Thursday with a lot more questions, which I didn’t mind, extra walks…which I did, extra overnight which had me walking three small pups all day Friday. Yoga sadly went by the wayside as time sped by. I did manage to get my hair done as no blonde would survive un-harrassed as a tourist in NYC and I did have a massage. It was not the kind of relaxing massage I had scripted, instead this man was looking for secret information…I didn’t know what he wanted but I was willing to tell him anything and everything. Old lady here, hurt her back during kickboxing and has been nursing it since then.

My romantic Friday evening dinner was that of a piece of cheese and lemon grass soda from Whole Foods as we jetted to the airport. I snapped at poor Todd under stress and walked up to the gate just as they were boarding.

I arrived at my home base around 0530 and went right up to the duty desk to ask for my new badge..they looked and looked. (Mine had expired during the leave.) Nothing. Into my supervisors office I go to be informed that if we can’t locate then I have to be removed from my trip. The badging office isn’t open on Saturday and there is a hold that needs to be lifted which was “ball dropped on our end”. I took a nap until noon and returned to her office to see if there was some miracle that would allow me to work. Nope. I had to drag my stuff into the city and wait until Monday to have the paper work done.

I am disappointed because first off, I came here to work, secondly I am staying at an apartment where I need to be out of sight out of mind to have this work, thirdly now I am just sitting around nyc totally broke for the weekend. The only good thing to come of this: my friend Carries birthday party is tonight…. I get to attend.

No comments: