09 June 2011

love/hate relationship

My "crash pad" is with friends in the city, they live on the UWS, a neighborhood I had not previously lived in but had experience working and wandering about. It is beautiful, a block from Central Park, right near shops and restaurants. Perfect location.
I have started to run again, with extra time on my hands, a beautiful park and sunshine there is no excuse not to. Also, I am keen on staying out of the way at our place as there is not too much alone time for the permanent flatmate. Last night and days prior I found myself wandering around the neighborhood after errands and cooling down after my walk. Manhattan is a seductress. I dream about what it would be like to live in a doorman building on CPW or an old brownstown with my own steps. I watch locals bustle about with groceries or going to the gym or having dinner outside, and I envy them. I long to be that person who came here when I was in my early twenties an found myself settled as legitimate New Yorker.
I love NYC in the summer; the heat, the thunderstorms, the park, the humidity....all of it. Today I sat on the edge of the Hudson River and watched the skies dance with lighting and listened to the thunder roll in.

This morning I had to wake after only five hours of rest to do day things. A good international flight attendant stays up late and sleeps in. I stayed up until 0200 and then the nasty alarm went off at 0700. I was not happy. The reason for my early wake up was to go the Chinese Consulate and get my visa. We are required to have it in case some miracle day happens and we (junior crew) get to go. If we don't have it and get called for that elusive flight then we are in trouble...I don't like being in trouble or even the thought of it for that matter.

I attempted to do this yesterday as the rumor mill said they are now taking two days to process instead of one but god love NYC. I set off to find a fedex office to print something and to get my passport photos taken. Should be simple right? No. After my two hours of walking in 99 degree weather, all I managed to find was a Rite Aid where I had to demand people pay attention to me and do their job. The result was a sweaty passport photo and $9 out of my pocket.

Last evening I found out the nearest place to print off my form and the consulate hours. I prepared...so I thought. I got up and to the Fedex office, printed and filled out the form and sleepily drug myself onto the subway. I had five more long blocks to walk after that. I got there 30 minutes before they were opened to find myself at least the 100th person in line. We are ushered in through security and set in ques. There is a screaming baby, I don't have any water (not allowed) and I stood in line for 40 minutes before my turn to the window. Around minute 33 I wondered where my supervisor was supposed to sign my application. I looked over it again and got a sinking feeling that I forgot something. Sure as shit, Mrs. Yang pointed it out. I made up some story that I didn't need it since I was renewing my visa, she didn't buy it. Fuck!!

Defeated I walked four long blocks for water and a breakfast roll ($3, love food carts). I sat down ready to give up and then was determined to get this over with. I googled and found a Staples 10 blocks away. I got there and the damn printer needed a cartridge. My eyes started to swell up with defeat. Why is it so damn hard to print something? Why wasn't I with it in the first place? I pulled it together to ask where another place was. Three blocks this time... I was loosing precious time with the embassy. I got there, printed it out and hailed a cab. I couldn't walk the mile. That of course took 10 minutes and $10. I ran back through security and cut off everyone to hand the stupid letter to Mrs. Yang. 'You come back tomorrow 9 am'. Great, just what I want to do.

I remember feeling so angry that I couldn't get the simplest thing accomplished and it cost me $20 and three hours just to hand over my passport. I loathe this city for that. And yes I get the saying, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. It is because of shit like this morning.

The easy stuff, the walk in the beautiful neighborhood, the culture, the feeling of being alive...all that takes care of the love part. The part that keeps people around trying and someday marrying or breaking up with New York City.

No comments: