07 June 2011

bookended

The bookend trip of my leave of absence played out nearly the same. Although I was scheduled to be the galley, the aisle girl asked me if wanted to trade. Any other time I would have said no, but I was ok just easing back into the flow of things. It was like riding a bike and the longer I was I on the more comfortable I got. I was standing around like a ding-dong when I came time for the all-call.

The lady I am working with in the front is so East Coast/Jersey/PA, it is funny; I have been removed from the environment for so long I forget. She is a non-stop gossiper and talker. She was all about filling me in on the “dirt” of the airline and who go fired and demoted and whom I shouldn’t fly with… like I have a choice. Then she found about dog walking, and talked intermittently between gossip and her neighbors’ doings about dogs. How dogs are drawn to her, how she is the neighborhood dog whisper, about each and every neighborhood dog and their behavior with her and their owner, their kind, there fencing situation….I am sorry is the sentence a run-on? Well so was she. I am sure she will have thought about more to talk about while we are on our layover.

So the place is Manchester and the only thing that has changed that I have noticed is a new fast food place across the street from the hotel and the absence of my favorite tea.

My body had not a clue what was going on last night and the flight was exceptionally long. Even though our service took forever, I mean this people took 20 minutes to eat their appetizers, I was totally bummed to see we had three more hours left. I pulled out a book and the galley was cold enough to stay away. The most reading I was able to get done was when yapper went into the pit for 30 minutes. Otherwise she would just start talking whenever a thought entered her head. I did have the passing thought of, dear god what did I sign my self up for?

The bus ride was long and I was able to snooze off for a bit before reaching a glorious bed. I have been sleeping on an air mattress in a loft for the weekend and a plane seat and lounge chair the evening prior. A bed felt amazing and seven hours of sleep followed.

Toured about the city attempting to find Man U tees for my husbands but had no luck. I wasn’t even in the mood to shop. I got a bit cocky walking home as I previously new the city by heart. Well mama got a bit off track…not too much as when I stopped into another hotel for directions; I was only five blocks from mine.

It is odd to be back, I can’t really describe it at the moment…

No comments: