20 June 2011

AA to the third

The third time I have sat airport alert this month. What I hate most is not having a clue where I am going. Granted, I usually get some good trips off “riding the couch” but today, I just want to know when I will be finished. I was mentally ready to go home yesterday. I am good for one day before my six, glorious days off. When I didn’t get my personal drop for today after sitting at the airport for 5 hours after my flight, I was crushed. When I looked at my schedule at 9pm and there was no assignment, that old feeling of anxiety came rushing over me. I woke up several times to check my phone (which turned off) in the middle of the night and then the computer. Finally I woke up at 1030 and found out I was to be at the airport at 315. After a run, shower and grabbing less expensive lunch at the deli, I made my way here.
My past two times of this assignment I was sent to Europe, which is always nice for a gal who spend so much time in the UK. The first was Oslo and I was grateful to be in the back. Yes you read that correctly. The f/c galley lady drove me nuts from the get go with her running mouth. The peeps in the back galley were cool and hard workers, which was good because our purser was a lazy idiot. The flight over wasn’t too bad and a nap was certainly in order and cheap once we reached Oslo.
Since the sun is up 20 hours of the day, it was a perfect city to take a long rest and still have daylight to go walk around. I brought an apple with me and it was my dinner. Oslo is expensive!! We did get free breakfast from the hotel so your truly was down there at the crack of dawn loading up!
The flight home ….NIGHTMARE! I can’t believe I am related to this people. They drank us out of house and home. There was barely enough food for the crew. The purser screwed us out of a long nap and proved her stupidity while we were trying to seat a family together. This was a Chinese Family holding Norwegian passports; she says “habla espanol” to the eye roll of me and the quizzical looks of the passengers. What a fucking idiot!
I needed a day off after that hot mess. Philly took my mind off the job for the day.
My next assignment was Friday with thunderstorms. Always a good time to be here because senior mamas miss their commute and good trips come in. I arrived extra early just because I had nothing else to do. I sat here for a bit and worked then reported for duty 30 minutes before I needed to. Two seconds later the phone rang and I was off to Frankfurt.
I was the person they needed to make it a less hellious flight. Every single crewmember came up to me with thanks. Turns out that I was flying with a big wig, who made one phone call for an extra person. The flight was fantastic; I work my favorite aisle and had a great galley and entire crew.
Our layover is in a small German town 30 miles outside of Frankfurt. I love this layover, I adore Germany. I went straight out after arriving to walk around the city. Came back for a quick nap and then met the crew for dinner. Jagerschnitzel!! One of my favorite things.
So once more I sit, waiting for not only my destination but also the end time, the time before I can get on a plane and make it back home for a week. I am so homesick.

No comments: