15 June 2009

shrink wrap love

I am renewing my love with shrink wrap once more. I first discovered my affection for it when I moved out of my favorite apartment on the UES. I wondering how to keep my scared bookshelf together for the move and one thought was saran wrap and when walking by Big John's Moving shrink wrap jumped out at me. There was once upon a time when I work at Fred Meyer that we would do random stuff to peoples cars while they were working. Once upon a time my car was moved around to the back of the building causing no less than panic on my end. Other times the jokes consisted of filling the car with Styrofoam peanuts and shrink wrapping a car completely. These were the carefree days of late high school and early college when I ran with a jackass crowd and clearly had a lot of time on my hands. I have a lot of time on my hands these days as well and the only jackass I run around with is myself.

The bookshelf in question is still with me and I love it not only for its practicality but also because of its story. Every piece of furniture in my loft in Portland has a story, so this piece will fit in nicely. I was coming home from work shortly after moving into the city and passed by some curbside give-a-ways. I took a shining to the shelf immediately and rushed home to put away my bag and come back to get it. I took it home and cleaning it up and started arranging my books on it immediately. Since books have replaced my fetish for shoes, my shelf has become valuable in their display. I am determined to get my free bookshelf back to Portland somehow. For now it is shrinkwraped up and awaiting the next journey.

I believed I was making progress with this whole packing up the New York life project and sadly had my bubble burst by Amy. She commented that I had a lot of crap. Really? I was taken back because she has know idea how much stuff I have already sent back. It was perfect motivation today to get more organized and really take inventory of what I had left. It was also great to actually get the set of keys and a date from Kenny, the guy whose place I am taking over for July.

I wonder if we become the opposite of our parents upbringing. I was in the process of packing and thinking how exhausting it is to keep packing up ones life and taking it somewhere else. I can almost say that I loathe the process and just want to stay put for a long while. When I was a kid, I longed to move to another house or another town because I thought it would be great to shake things up a bit. But alas, we stayed put at old 3030 Cannon for all the years I lived there. When I was in Nebraska to see where my dad grew up he mentioned something unknown to me, that he had moved several times as a kid. My immediate question was: is that why we never moved? To which the answer was an infatic yes. Carol also moved around a bunch as a kid as her father was in the Navy. It makes sense to me now why we stayed put. I, on the other hand, have moved 23 times in my life all after the age of 18.
Enough already!

No comments: