26 June 2009

moments in the apple this week

I has taken me two years to really get the stride of the city. I have hopstop as my backup but generally know how to get anywhere I need via the subway. Granted there are those times when I have my ipod too loud and I miss a stop or I am too tired to logically think about which way I am really going but those times were I have it under my belt give me a rush.

I am absolute love with New York City right now. It is summer and since I haven't been flying, I have actually been taking advantage of the city. Tuesday I made mad ass karma points with the universe by helping carry my twin mattress 10 blocks including the stairs of Morningside Park to its new owners apartment. What was funny about the whole thing is that he kept asking for breaks because he was getting tired. After I went to watch my friends play in a band as I normally do when I am free on Tuesday nights. I couldn't talk any of my ladies into going and thought that was a good thing in the end since I was just going to have one beer. I had airport arrest at o'dark forty five. Well, guess who didn't get home til 0330 and was still drunk on the bus ride in? I am so glad I wasn't sent anywhere and was able to sleep the whole four hours. The next evening I played softball on a semi-date on Roosevelt Island. I am super excited not only to get out and enjoy the evening but also to go somewhere new in Manhattan. Even more exciting was the tram ride back to the city, I felt like a little kid. The team won and then tested our luck at pub trivia. Great evening.
Last night some of my ladies and I got together to watch Shakespeare in the park. It was the reenactment of King Lear and the play was done on the run. Every few scenes we would chase the actors through Battery Park. Totally great experience! We stopped into some weird bar from the 80's for a couple Ladies night cocktails and then called it good.
Today, I got shit done including walking a dog. I also fed'exd some packages and took my camera up because I wanted to get some shots of Harlem. Unknown to me was the gathering of people in honor of Michael Jackson at the Apollo Theatre. I stood in amazement as they sang his songs in glorious harmony and chanted for a legend. This is what New York is all about, moments like these!

No comments: