18 June 2009

over it

It's official, I am over it. The job if you can call it that. I prefer to think of it as a burden on my time with flight benefits. I am in Edinburgh on a layover, the first I have had all month actually and although it is a million times better than airport alert, it is not my cup of Earl Grey Tea anymore.
I sat on the edge of my bed after picking up the trip just waiting for the phone to ring to tell me I was bumped off; to my great relief it did not. Then I got packed and made it to the bus stop for the hour ride wondering if I would get senior opted out of my position and have to work in the back. I shuddered at the thought. Then I wondered if I would like my crew especially the galley guy since we work so closely together. I wondered if the pilots were good looking and fun and if they were single. I ate my dinner on the bus since we hit traffic and it would be my only opportunity to eat prior to eleven at night. I wondered if the passengers would be nice, what the weather would be like in Scotland, and if I would be able to get back into the routine of flying.
Everyone was nice, nothing to write home about. And it kills me because you always have the same conversation with flight attendants. Where are you from? When did you get this trip? Where do you live? What did you do before this? Yadda, yadda, yadda. And you have to be polite because you are stuck on a plane with these people. I choose to read a book and let everyone else have the monotonous conversations, talk about nothing but flying, and tell rumors about the company. Why can't these people discuss world events or a piece of literature?
I struggled through the last hour of the flight prior to service as my eyelids demanded to close. Then we did the service and the attitudes of my passengers didn't change from dinner so I counted the minutes until I was in bed. The van ride was the same thing...chat, chat, chat. I put in my ipod to detour people from thinking I had interest in their gossip. I slept and slept until awoken by a friend on the late crew. I showered and met up with them and it was the same routine since I didn't know anyone but Shawn I had to answer the questions. Easier to do with a glass of wine in my hand. The tried to explain to me that reserve life is not that bad and one day I'll have my day in the sun. We went to dinner and then to listen to music; nothing exciting but it was nice to be out of the hotel room.
Now I have been up since 0430 GMT and have a long day ahead. I couldn't go back to sleep and it gets light here super early in the summer. So I have wondered around my room, repacked my luggage and thought about what time a coffee will be ideal to help me make it through the day.
I am taking a shower in a minute, putting on my uniform and shoes that I can't seem to get a funky smell out of, then meeting everyone downstairs to take a van to the airport. Once again I wonder if first class is full and if the passengers will be nice and I look forward to a time when I don't have to ask these questions.

No comments: