03 April 2009

dca

coming soon, not in the mood right now...


DC was fantastic!! Love the city and was so blessed to be there during the cherry blossom festival. The 97th annual festival to be more specific. I flew down first thing in the morning and set off to see the sights. I started with the Lincoln Memorial and went onto the Korean and WWII Memorials. Each were very emotional as my dad fought in both wars. I was disappointed to find that names of the WWII vets were only computerized, I had an image of them carved into a wall. While I was walking from one war memorial to the next, a group of WWII men were making there way to the memorial, it was too much to think about and I begged the information desk for tissues. Aside from that the memorial is gorgeous. The next stop was the Washington Monument and then onto the Cherry Blossoms. There are 2000 trees around the Tidal Basin, it feels like I photographed 1/4 of them! There was a place to rent paddle boats so my backpack and I did so. Not too much fun alone, going around in circles. I continued with traditional Japanese lunch served by large black women.
My camera battery called it quits before I did so I had to stop and recharge my batteries, literally and figuratively at the nearest Starbucks.
On to the White House back and front, along with Lafayette Park. I walked and walked some more into town and found the damn Hard Rock Cafe for Minda and got her shot glass. I also saw the Ford theatre as well as the house in which Lincoln died across the street. Did they drag him over there or what?
Finally it was time to get on the train out to Springfield. Mama Maeyer came and picked me up and took me back to their house in Virgina. It was so nice to be in a real home. Dinner was fantastic as well as chit chatting with the family. I had my own room and bathroom and went to bed completely exhausted around 2200. I woke up in the middle of the night coughing and remembered I saw cough syrup in the medicine cabinet. I think it is just habit to open one up if it's there in front of you. So I went to the bathroom and then opened it up. I didn't want to turn on the light because it messes with your sleep pattern but after spilling half the bottle on the floor, I was forced to turn on the light and clean it up. Red NyQuil everywhere, great house guest I am!
In the morning I was fed french toast with bacon and fresh berries. I told Mama Maeyer I was just going to stay and live with them! She dropped me off at the "Kiss and Park" and I was on my way back to DC. My first stop was the Arlington cemetery where I watched the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown solider. It was heartbreaking to see all the headstones of people who died in wars. It was interesting however to read some of the large ones. Some mucky-mucks have places for there first and second wives. Back on the train down to the museums, I walked and walked stopping in a few, wandering through the sculpture park and eating a hot dog. I finally made it to the air and space museum where I spent hours looking at air stuff and stewardess rooms. After that I made it to the capitol and then onto lunch. I treated myself to a gorgeous salad at the Chophouse as well as Cherry Blossom beer (so good). After that a red velvet cupcake and back to the airport.
Awesome trip!!

No comments: