30 March 2009

sure, i'll go

I was called in for airport alert on Sunday and was a little surprised they were calling me as I was only good for two days and had broke my guarantee with the moron trip I just arrived home from. I gladly got ready and left a) because they were actually paying me to sit at the airport and b) it was Sunday which means my idiot roommate was home with his yapping dogs.
I sat down with my salad and chit chatted away with friends also warming the couch. The phone was ringing off the hook due to weather delays and so forth so I mentally prepared myself for a trip. One of the guys from the duty desk came over and asked if I would be the purser to Dublin. Sure, what the hell?
I got to the aircraft and had to lay down the law that I knew what I was doing and was just a little frazzled because I ran across the airport. You don't have to tell me where I work, thank you. I went about my business of getting the cabin ready and we are short a flight attendant so I deal with that. Finally we get customers boarded and we push back. Ok, easy flight coming up. That is until we are stopped on the runway because lighting is striking all around us. For three and half hours we sat on the tarmac, moved the plane once to get out of the way of some guy having a heart attack on the plane behind us, literally. The communication skills of the captain left a lot to be desired so me as the leader of the back had to dictate our service and make up stories to keep the customers happy.
All in all we were on the plane for almost 10 hours and couldn't be happier to see the amazing beds of our hotel in Dublin. Gotta love the Irish because they roll with the punches. If that would have been a plane full of Americans, there would have been an uprising.

No comments: