08 April 2009

on the plane across the north pole

I write for the first time ever while working on the plane. The window of door 1L is open to keep my mind fooled into it still being daytime. The sun reflecting from the glaciers below and the fact my watch stopped a week ago seem to have the upper hand. I glance in amazement to the frozen earth below. There are cracks that seem like silvers in ice cubes but really from 35,000 feet above, I imagine the glaciers are gigantic.
I was on my way to LHR will little enthusiasm except for working first class aisle and getting some pages in my passport. The rest was the same old, same old story. I even purposely decided not to take my nice camera, as I didn’t even want to photography London that is how much I am not a fan. I got to work early, checked in and ate my usual salad. I was standing in line at the duty desk to purchase a bottle of water at the same time there was a panic about a flight. I heard something pulling people from LHR; I raised my hand enthusiastically even though I had no clue where I was to be sent. Anything is better than London. “Do you have a Chinese visa?” Yes. “Ok you are going to Hong Kong.”
So off I went to gate 90 with 3 other people. The flight was going to be longer than a required duty day and some of the crew wanted off. Fine by me, I’ll take another trip to HKG. This time I will see it without a hangover. I am going to go shopping this time and check out Kowloon.
As for the flight, sadly I am the only one who knows what is going on the first class department. The ISM, god bless her is nice but doesn’t know what her role is. The galley lady even though she had two extra hours on the ground (mechanical) still is not prepped and the other aisle guy, first time on an international flight, the 777, and in first class. God help us, rather (me)! The other crewmembers came up to help and they were all with him and let me be. What else? Oh, and some how on the 2nd most senior flight we have in the system, I managed to get a choice of crew breaks. I choose the coveted second break. Since we have to stay close to airports due to the mechanical issue, our flight is now 16.5 hours but our rest time is 5 hours. Looking forward to my nap because sitting up here in this galley all alone is boring. I brushed my teeth so I would cease with the snacking and there is still an hour and forty-five until the first crew gets up.
I think I realized why I haven’t written on the plane prior, other than the idea of lack of time. This shit is boring. End of the day, I am in recycled air talking to a bunch of people I would normally never hang out with, eating crap just because it is there, and wondering if this the so called glamorous life.

No comments: