18 March 2009

st patty's day 09

Thank goodness for scheduling not using Lauren yesterday so I could have some one to pal around with. I finally chose my St Patty's day outfit and set off on the C. I arrived at her house to get greeting with an Irish coffee as she got ready. I told her about a party I was invited to on 5th Ave so we walked across the park to soak up the gorgeous spring day. The parade was still going strong after four hours so we stopped to check it out and then dashed across. The invite was given by my friend and fellow co-worker Jimmy Joe. He is not from the south as you might suspect, rather from Jersey. He told me his parents had a place on 67th and 5th and I should stop by for some Irish grub. We got to the corner to find four buildings. We walked up to the first and asked about a party and they said no. The next building informed up that Jimmy Joe did live there but was in South Carolina. Weird since I just saw him the night prior. So we went back to the parade and tried to call. The doorman came and got us a few minutes later and led us to the apartment. We walked in and found my friend Jimmy Joe, his girlfriend and his family. His mom, dad, uncles, grandma...the whole crew was there celebrating their hertiage. I was a bit shocked but fell right into it as they feed and watered us. Great corn beef and cabbage on rye.."How New York am I?" I asked. They sat around telling stories much to my delight and the girlfriends dismay. I love this kind of stuff. It was time to go when the uncle tried to recruit Lauren and I into being engineers and offered to take us to some underground tunnel next week.
Our next stop was Doc Watson's, an Irish pub on 2nd Ave. We worked our way in and ordered a couple of Guinness. It wasn't long before a heard of firemen made their way over and put there caps on our heads. We chatted and laughed and at 1815 I looked at my watch to note the time of my first feel up for the evening. What can I say, he bought me a Guinness!
The next stop was dinner at my favorite Thai place before heading to Brother jimmy's. All of my favorite bartenders were working so it goes without saying we got very drunk very cheap!
Grilled cheese at Gracie Meows finished our evening around midnight. All in all a great St Patty's Day here in Irish heaven to the left of the Atlantic!

No comments: