29 July 2008

i have to go where?

My dumb luck doesn’t seem to extend to work. I was good for one day and was assigned airport alert at 1055, which means I was covering NRT, PEK, etc. Well, genius here who does not operate well in the mornings left my blackberry home by accident. This wouldn’t have been a big deal if I would have brought my second phone or my computer but I left them because if I were sent to Central or South America they would be taken. So I get a call around 1130 to monitor a flight, I am sorry, do what? So I go up to the gate to find out the flight to LAX isn’t leaving until 1400. So I walk back down to the crew room and pass the domestic reserve that came in right after me. I asked her what she got and almost strangled her when she replied, Honolulu. I call back to scheduling to pick up an AMS and figure out what the hell I am really supposed to be doing. They put the LAX trip on my line so I had to work domestic. LAX wouldn’t have been the worse thing to happen to me as I have a plethora of men to choose from, however I didn’t have anyone’s numbers. So I am on the pay phone to Carol almost crying at the clusterfuck of my day when my name is announced over the pa. I call and go back to the crew room. I was the second to be called again and this time they gave me a flight that left at 1600 to PHX. I flipped out once more and cursed my fortune. Well the ol’ flight didn’t end up leaving until 1900. At least the crew, minus the fat-ass working first calls was cool.
It was our FO’s birthday so we made him some crew juice and ordered up some apps for our quick overnight. I knew it was time to leave when the quite, shy FO ended up telling all of us that he was a swinger. Weirdness aside we started our three-leg day with sit time in IAH and AUS. Getting home at 1230, I realized how grateful I was to be international. I have no idea how I survived the year I did in domestic.
While heading for the gate in PHX and going to get a salad, I ran into my good friend Chris whom we have done a couple of trips together and had an absolute blast. I ran and jumped on him declaring he just made my day so much better. As we were chatting, he says hello to people passing. Then he tells me that it was Steffi Graff and Andre Agassi. We set off to hunt them down and say hello. We found them at the Brookstone store and finally I walked up and introduced myself.
“I was such a huge fan growing up”
A: “of me or Steffi?”
“Both, your both great but I had you plastered all over my walls”
A: “I am sorry bout that” he said with a grin
“I am not, you are hot” to the amusement of his wife
Small chitchat and a couple more handshakes later, we walked away. I was shaking from the experience of meeting one of my childhood idols.

No comments: