22 July 2008

my all-star week

I had planned my whole summer around volunteering for the All-Star week with landed at Yankee Stadium this year. Months ago I put in my application, then went to an interview, and finally got the letter of acceptance. I was assigned to work FanFest in the Javits Center which many have proclaimed (myself included) to be baseball heaven on Earth. We were given a tour the evening prior to the opening and it was amazing. Our uniform consisted of a red baseball hat, bright yellow polo, and the ultimate topper of a MLB fannie pack...yes, you read correctly! No worries because all of us looked like dorks. I accented my outfit with khaki shorts and red velvet tinnies. My assignment was to work the You Call the Play booth where you could make a dvd with your favorite play and your voice doing the announcing. Instead I got stuck at the Cover Photo which was broke for the first hour so I spent the time watching the Home Run derby and eating free Taco Bell from the neighboring booth.
The next day Chris and I went to enjoy as baseball fans and spent some time actually playing. The Home Run Derby was fun but the damn ball dropped too fast and made me look like an idiot while ol' softball man was hitting them out of the park. On Monday I worked a private party and thus had to decline tickets to the actually Home Run Derby but I did get to work my assigned booth and we had loads of fun goofing around. The last day was Tuesday and I got to work the main attraction The Diamond where legends came out to do clinics with kids and give autographs. Even though I was a day off from Jeter and Bernie Williams, it was sure great to see David Wright, hottie!!
So the perks to this giving of my time included the cool uniform, tickets to Fan Fest, the ability to volunteer next year in St. Louis, a commemorative baseball, the joy of hanging out in such a cool venue, and getting to go to a party and the game.
I was invited to Tao' by my friend Reach to a private party and while trying to grab his attention in the dj booth to thank him, I look to the left and see Shaq. I met him later in the evening and his hand enveloped mine plus half my arm. Amazing party!! Can't even describe how fortunate I feel with my dumb luck.
Even more dumb luck...you remember the guy who ticket I inadvertently scalped a while back? Well he stopped by Fan Fest to see me and offered me a ticket to the All-Star game. I jumped on the chance and come Tuesday around 2000, I was standing in Yankee Stadium watching in awe as baseball greats walked onto the field. Hands down, one of THE BEST MOMENTS in my life Even though the game was the longest all-star game in history, I survived thanks to 2 seventh inning stretches, a beer, and my absolute love for the game.

No comments: