09 July 2008

a kiss

Aries
March 20 - April 19
Unfortunately you can't measure love the way you would the stock market, dear Aries. And it's all right if that scares you a little, because you know that you have to work at something if you want to make it happen in your life. We all need to have the courage to try new things. So, yes you will find love in your life, but as to whom you will 'invest' with and how much you will 'invest,' you won't find out until the big day. Be patient, you won't be disappointed.

Given my history with blind dates and bad dates in general I was willing to try it once again when my local bartender and friend Larry asked to set me up with his friend. I didn't ask any questions about my upcoming date, I just said yes. He called me and we set up a date and then he actually called me later in the week when he said he was going to. We met at an Irish pub on Mother's day after my flight from OSL. I was nervous at first but then fell into talking to him over Guinness about work, movies, and sports. I called it a night after a couple hours due to exhaustion. He left for Mexico and took over the pooch patrol. We made plans for dinner prior to my departure for Turkey but I had to change it to coffee.
I've got to tell you, he isn't my type and there was no fireworks. But I am realizing that "my type" is no good for me and who have I actually had a relationship with in five years? No one. So I stuck with it. About a month after our first meeting we had our third date bowling and an irish bar. Something that night shifted for me, I became comfortable and less pre-occupied. While we were at the pub, Guinness in hand, Yankee game to the right, Celtic game ahead, live band to the right, I told him that I was pretty close to heaven. Then he kissed me. I was like, oh...OH!
Come to find out, he had the same reservations about me during our first two dates. But he admitted to feel the shift as well that evening.
We ended up spending the fourth of July together first at his softball game, lunch, and then I took him to Lance's party. And then last night I took him on a date to an outdoor cafe and then to a bar with board games. We spend hours playing connect four, checkers, and jenga. Hands down one of my best dates. And the thing is that I am myself around him, no front, no games, me. I have no idea what to think about it, I know that I am not sick to my stomach or worried about whether I can call him or any of the usual bullshit that goes with dating.
I guess a kiss can change everything.

No comments: