23 April 2008

a box of triscuts

My days off were in line to go to Dubai to visit this new wonderment of the world as well as my friend, Turiya. I awoke at 0630 because the flight the night before was full and proceeded to JFK. An hour or so on the subway took me to the air train and then to terminal 4. I checked in for the flight which mysteriously oversold in the wee hours of the night and was told to come back at 1030 for the verdict. I didn't get on. So there I stood in one of the largest airports in the world pondering where my rollerboard filled with summer clothes and I should go. From terminal 4 to terminal 1 to terminal 3 then terminal 6, I searched out a sunny destination which was boarding soon and not flying to Florida. No luck. I went back to the subway with a couple of blisters from my fabulous heels and stopped to find out if the flight to PDX was open. An hour and forty minutes later, I was at my home airport, my own turf and awaiting my flight home. I ran into a friend who got me into the exec lounge and had a few cocktails prior to my flight. A first class seat inabled my rest on the quick flight into Oregon.
I was able to "spread the love" on this visit by staying with different friends each night. Some may call me a nomad with my suitcase in tow, I just call it the usual routine. The first night I stayed at Hotel Duffin, the next was spent at fireman and yoders residence, the third on an air mattress at Mr May's and the fourth at Porter's home. Tonight I return to the pearl to have an easy access to the aiport which is almost impossible to get a ride to.
It has been a fantastic visit, although not planned it has been well received by my soul. I saw a lot of my friends, the piece of the puzzle missing from NYC, and in the spreading of love took my box of crackers (a pressie for Turiya) on a tour of a couple airports and a lot of homes.

No comments: